Sunday, April 30, 2006

Senator Barney Looses the Plot...

In what could be contrasted to the ramblings of an oversized purple dinosaur, Australian Senator Barnaby Joyce has announced that Australia should mine in Antarctica...

Courtesy of news.com.au ...
"We claim 42 per cent of the Antarctic but that claim is not recognised by quite a large number of countries," Senator Joyce said.

"There's minerals there, there's gold, there's iron ore, there's coal, there's huge fish resources and what you have to ask is: 'Do I turn my head and allow another country to exploit my resource ... or do I position myself in such a way as I'm going to exploit it myself before they get there'."

Australia did not have the power to keep the Antarctic in a pristine state and should look at exploiting the region in a sustainable way, he said.

It sounds like such an odd thing to say... 'No one recognises our claim on the land.... so let's mine anyway'... Then again given the Howard regimes history with international treaties, you could hardly find it surprising...

Senator Joyce was sent to Antarctica for a month by the PM after he "crossed the floor" to defeat a government bill...

I can't help but think he's baring a stronger resemblance to the beloved stuffed puppet like dinosaur more and more each day.

1 Comments:

At 30 April, 2006 20:25, Blogger redefinEdworld said...

Awesome blog...nice to see some bloggers out there dedicated to promoting human rights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home